Since my friend Diana Adams (aka @adamsconsulting on Twitter) and I created a list of “badass women on Twitter” I often get this question: “How do I become a Twitter badass?” Recently, I had to cram some new information into my Twitter bio so I dropped my “Twitter badass” from it. A CMO I really like tweeted to me: “Hey Amy, why did you drop the badass in your bio? It’s my favorite part of the bio.” Needless to say, I added it right back and now I wondered what I was thinking (or not thinking) when I edited that. The things that make the community of women in this category so qualified are numerous. So, here goes. What makes someone a “Twitter Badass”:
1. You must tweet a lot, often and engage with those who reach out to you.
2. You must have relevant and timely tweets and content.
3. You must be kind and gracious to others–unless someone really deserves it, then you stand up.
4. You are a good connector to others online and quick to make introductions.
5. You care more about others than yourself. This is true of the #BA75 community–a common but real thread.
6. You don’t like it when David Letterman says he doesn’t get Twitter. Come on, Dave! Even Betty White gets it.
7. People follow you because you have stuff to say that matters.
8. You aren’t afraid to stand out, stand up, preach and promote (there are many worthy causes on Twitter).
9. You collect followers and you follow them back (exceptions: bots, spam, porn, snake oil, etc.).
10. Your kids know that tweeting is part of your daily routine; you are what you tweet!
What makes you a Twitter Badass?